Scrapbooking is a hobby, but for some of us it is a lifestyle. As for me, it a dangerous lifestyle....

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Sil Pens as a Swap Saver!

The Sil pens are not only fun, but they can save your scrap hide! Found that out on Monday. I signed up to do two different designs in TXAngel's post card swap. The poinsettia gave me a headache - but that was thanks to the glitter. It was fine for outline, but not all over, so that took me longer than planned. Like two weeks longer. I got so frustrated I tossed them all. I then redid them with marker edging and a pinch of Stickles. I needed to change my second idea and quickly because a highly decorated snowman was going to take more time than I had.

I went through my Sil designs and found the perfect idea : pen snowflakes background with a horse and sleigh silhouette on top. The background turned out lovely, even though I cannot rotate the flakes. The horse and sleigh, however, were an absolute nightmare. I tried cutting them out in two different sizes on two different types of textured paper. DD was not impressed with the lack of quality. The little ones were a series of dashes and the larger ones looked like a child cut them with a craft knife.

I then hit upon a solution: my pens! I tried it out on white paper - and it worked! I had to color them by hand and cut around them, but they melded into the mostly white background. Not perfect, but much better than using the other ones, which is a bummer, because I was really taken with the design I had created. Oh well, maybe next year for cards for DH's work.

The pens also made light work for those cards for this year. I took the Season's Greetings with a shadow and just switched out the pens for the different 'layers'(I drew lines around the edges) and in less than an evening, I had 28 card fronts (4 per sheet), ready to glue to cards tomorrow night.

As for photos, would you believe I sent out the cards without photographing them? I will post photos of the Season's Greetings soon, though!

No comments: