Scrapbooking is a hobby, but for some of us it is a lifestyle. As for me, it a dangerous lifestyle....

Monday, October 20, 2008

How a Layout Helped My Sanity!


I finished a layout that was Halloween-inspired that sounds pretty out there. I found photos of DD when she was 5 wearing her ballet outfit and playing with our talking skeleton, and I knew that I just had to scrap it.

I really thought long and hard about how to showcase these adorable photos. I then hit upon the idea of using the QK skeleton and the QK Ballerina. I used two different fonts and a few other dies, plus the Martha Stewart Owl punch. I was really proud of my finished 2-page layout. I posted it to the Remember When Message Board where I received the sweetest comments. I think it was PattiO who told me it was my best work yet and Frank told me that he had not known this side of me.

Secretly, I was afraid it was too much, that people would call it 'morbid' or question my parenting. Afterall, how many parents let their kids play with skeletons at night, in the dark, take pictures of that and then scrap them and publish the resulting layout?

Somehow, though, I managed to impress people, people whose opinions I respect, whose work I admire. My self-esteem got a HUGE boost, something I really appreciate - and to tell the truth- needed. Between DH's illness, his company's downsizing (he survived), my friend's medication-induced illness and my grandfather's death, I have been been on the edge. I still see myself as a beginning, not very talented scrapbooker, so the compliments really helped. And man, I really need something that uplifts me. Too many crises are soul-draining.

So, thanks to all who helped me feel better about my skills.

And before I forget, a very Happy 40th Birthday to DH, the love of my life!

No comments: