Scrapbooking is a hobby, but for some of us it is a lifestyle. As for me, it a dangerous lifestyle....

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mica Gloss - My New Frenemy

Last summer at GASC, Sandy and I discovered Judikins Mica Gloss, and as I previously mentioned in another post, we both forgot how to use it. After Grapevine, I felt brave enough to try, so that's how I spent my birthday - playing with Mica Gloss and my new Ranger Melting Pot.

Mica Gloss comes in gorgeous colors and you can do amazing things with it on a variety of surfaces. The caveat is that you need to heat set it or it will smear if you use it on a glossy surface, and it is best if you mix some Diamond Glaze with it. I decided to play with my MG on a pair of Heidi Swapp mirrored books I picked up at Remember When last year.

I forgot about the Diamond Glaze part, so even though I heat set it several times, it just wouldn't dry. In fact, I had to redo one of the covers four times, before I got the colors right because I kept smearing the edges and retouching the spots caused the removal of the MG. Rather frustrating - and messy. Luckily, the MG washes off your hands with little effort. One neat thing with the longer drying time is that I was able to use a chunky foam stamp to remove some of the thicker ink, which gave it a lovely two-tone effect. I had to be careful, though, so that I did not remove down to the mirrored surface and have to start all over again.

I gave up trying to dry the covers, although the papers I decorated dried rather quickly. I left them out to dry, checking them everyday.

This afternoon, a week later, I went to move them - and they WERE DRY!!! Now I can begin to work with them, and it needs to be something important.

No comments: